24/08/2009

Stone


I can lay my head down to rest at night, and I know that the stone is only four minutes away.
I know that, on the exact same street that my window looks out on to, the window above my head when I lay it down at night, you come to them. The graves.

If I got up at four in the morning, I could silently wander down this one street, and within five minutes come to the stone. Black and still, the trees would stop the moonlight from giving anything definition.
And I could lay down here, with my head on any stone I choose, and sleep there instead, knowing that if I got cold and wanted to return to my bed, it would only be four minutes away, up the street that links it all together.

And the ones in the graves, they could do the same. They could leave their place of rest, and come to my room, and sleep in my bed, hungry to lose the coldness that has held them so tightly and for so long.
I would make way, if they chose to do this. I would understand.
Sometimes I want the abscence of warmth, this stifling warmth that fills not just my room, but my every waking moment.
I want to feel what it is like to be cold, to be still, and let everything crawl away from you, repugnant and uninterested. I would take their place, and they could take mine, just for a while.

The wind would follow me to my outdoor sleep, and perhaps the rain would also. But they would be fine as my final companions before that deepest of slumbers, enveloped in peace and perfect stillness.
And I know this could only happen at night, because if I wanted to stay in my new place of sleep, and the others wished to keep my bed, we would need the night to usher us into our new choices.

We would need one night to gently unfold into day, where we could prepare ourselves for whatever is next.
We would be ready for it, I know.
Ready, after just one good night's sleep.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Awesome and mysterious blog! Love the work and the deepness. Truly impressive!

2 Raven Chicks said...

Lovely photographs and haunting poetry.

I shall stop by often to read your words.

Thank you.

Ayse said...

nice blog =)

Cynthia DDH said...

Hi,
My name is Cynthia, I have followed your blog for a while and noticed your passion for writing. Sorry for bothering you, I just want to share some information about publishing an e-book. If you have any interest in the subject, you may take a look at our DDH E-publishing Service Website: http://www.ddh-epub.com DDH is a digital publisher, you may also check our books for free preview at www.ddh3d.com
Thank you and please keep up good work!

Best wishes
Cynthia
E-mail:service2@ddh-epub.com
Please feel free to contact me via Email if you have any question;-)